Categories

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Grit to Prevail

 
Time flies is such a cliché and it's been almost three years since I posted. So much things has happened and my son will be 12 years old in June. This is a scary part for me because he'll be hitting puberty soon. I don't know if he has the right school, if he has the right intervention. I don't know. Me, I just want to rest for awhile and just breathe.

I know I can't predict the future but what I will do now for him will prepare him for the future in a world that looks at him different, like a misfit in a society that can be cruel and unaccepting. I cannot shelter him from it but I can prepare him for it.
 

 
How can you teach him grit and not be so sheltered so he can cope with his life when he gets older? How can you make him experience the world himself and learn about fortitude? I wish I can make a program for him, something I would deem fit so he can be self-sufficient and independent. Isn't that something we all want for our children, to learn to fend for themselves in the future?
 
 
If you follow the "ideal" program to aid in your battle with autism, the usual therapies are occupational therapies, speech therapies, ABA and others. I know they all helped my son but somehow I want him to learn more self-help skills. Because sometimes, two hours a week of therapy is not enough. Or maybe I just want to take a break. Maybe I need a respite from all the driving especially in traffic, from waiting in schools and therapy centers, from paying the bills and worrying about finances, worrying about my health, my husband's, my son's health, my parents' health and many other things. It just can be so overwhelming, I just want to lie down sometimes, close the lights and just sleep to blank my mind.
 
 
It is a struggle, a constant challenge but autism have made me stronger. It may have nicked me at times but I feel confident that I will rise above it like all special parents like me would. It is a purpose that is given to us and by showing the world that we can not only handle it but become a better person because of it then we have prevailed.
 
 
Like what they say, God gives the hardest battles to His strongest soldiers and one of my favorites, if life pushes you back, you push back harder. So cheers to us special parents and fight on :)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment