Categories

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Rest for the weary

Sometimes, motherhood is a never ending list of tasks and things to be done. There are no day-offs,it's 24 hours a day and seven days a week shift. Sometimes, I just feel swamped. Even with just one kid. And after my maid/nanny left, I’m now stuck taking caring of my kid. My husband was terrified at the thought of not having any help before our help went back to the province to get married.

And though it has been a struggle, we now have more bonding moments together, like two soldiers at war. We usually have to figure out how we can secure the package (the kid) safely and with less hassle especially when we’re outside the house, like the mall. We ask ourselves did we bring enough milk and diapers for him? Is he going to get grouchy again?

And when I’m alone my toddler, I have to be on my toes and plan ahead. I have to check my supplies and know the fastest escape route when he suddenly feels like sweeping the floor lying down (translation: tantrums). Right now, he seems to be having some separation anxiety again and this makes it harder for me to leave him in play areas/daycare. Like my life is not complicated as it is, now he has to be a clinging vine. But despite all this, I’m glad I’m spending more time with him. I’m learning more about his likes and dislikes, and other things I didn’t know about him before. These are the highs of motherhood that we often forget especially when they behave like little banshees.

I heard about a book called “Mothers need time-outs too”. They are so right. Small stolen moments of me time can rejuvenate any exhausted and stressed mother any time. Me, when I’m done with chores and my boy is taking a nap. I fix myself a bruschetta and listen to soft bossa nova tunes. I also look at the picture of the ocean on my desk. At least when he wakes up, I had my me time even just for thirty minutes to an hour. I feel like I’m just me again, not a wife or a mother, just me who can lounge around and read some paragraphs in a book with my feet up. It’s a small piece of heaven in my weary world.

No comments:

Post a Comment