Categories

Friday, October 16, 2009

The challenges of motherhood

Sometimes, life doesn’t give us what we expect. I’ve always thought that I’d travel the world alone and discover new things and new places in the world. I’d be one of those travel hosts going in different countries around the world. But as they say, God has other plans. I succumbed to society’s expectations for women. Get married and have children. When I got married, I thought I had the freedom I longed for, something I didn’t have in my father’s house, freedom from restrictions but now I realize that its something far different from what I expected to be.

As someone who has been used to a maid, I found myself scrubbing the toilet floor and finding my hands getting rough from washing the dishes. Freedom had its price. I thought I was free but I was imprisoned in another type of prison, domestic responsibility. I was expected to keep the house clean and handle the house budget. I have been used to answering to myself and now I had to make compromises.

Sometimes, I wonder when Cinderella went to the castle with his prince, was she tasked to head the servants’ house duties immediately, of course as someone who has been used to cleaning the chimney she would know something about this right? She was not treated like a princess but the head maid.Then as she was getting used to it, she had a baby. Now, aside from being a housemaid, she is a nursemaid.

Of course, there are many women who love being a wife and mother. Or maybe they are lying through their teeth and just you want to be part of the warfront or homefront too. Though I agree that there are happy times but really now, it really is challenging. I wrote this blog for my own sanity, to share my happy, sad, exciting, exhausting experiences as a woman, as a wife and a mother. I’m not a perfect wife and mother, I do things that my husband hate and feed my child not so nutritious food. But hey, I’m still a work in progress like every woman, wife and mother is.

No comments:

Post a Comment